It goes without saying that YMCAs have been through a lot over the last year, as the COVID-19 pandemic has significantly changed the world we live in and has forced us to rethink both our business models and our advocacy efforts.
This year, our 2021 New York State YMCA Advocacy Days will look and feel different as we will conduct all events and activities virtually. We are very excited and committed to providing a high-quality virtual advocacy day experience. Now that we are no longer restricted to activities and events on a single day, our efforts will consist of many actions and activities throughout the month of February.
Since this is no-cost to participating, YMCAs can utilize this opportunity to grow their grassroots efforts by encouraging staff, volunteers, and members to participate in virtual legislative meetings, webinars, and social media campaigns.
As we all know, the stakes are high, our organizations are at risk, and survival is the goal of our advocacy.
How Can I Register?
- January 29, 2021 at 11:00am – Learn more about advocacy 101 and an overview of COVID-19 advocacy efforts, at both the state and federal level. LISTEN TO THE RECORDING HERE
- February 1, 2021 at 11:00am – Learn the ins and outs of the Executive Budget Proposal and the 2021 YMCA Budget Priorities. LISTEN TO THE RECORDING HERE
- February 1-10, 2021 (all day) – Join your YMCA colleagues and volunteers from around the state in a Take Action campaign! Email the customizable 2021 YMCA Budget Priorities (template below) to your state elected officials.
- February 2, 9, 16 and 23 (all day) – Raise your voice on social media! Every Tuesday, the Alliance will coordinate a social media outreach to state elected officials in support of the YMCA’s Budget Priorities. Templates will be provided.
- March 5, 2021 at 11:00am – REGISTER HERE – Join the Alliance and YMCA Advocacy Liaisons for a debrief of the 2021 Virtual Advocacy Days event.
Virtual Legislative Visits
Virtual Legislative Meeting Calendar – click here for a listing of legislative visits for your YMCA! This link is updated as appointments are scheduled.
All appointment requests have been submitted on your behalf to your State Legislators for the month of February. Meeting information and attendance will be coordinated through the YMCA Advocacy Liaison Network. If your YMCA has not yet appointed an Advocacy Liaison for 2021, please contact Belinda Heckler or follow the link below for a description of the Advocacy Liaison role and how to register a staff member or volunteer at your YMCA to serve in this role.
- YMCA Advocacy Days Checklist
- Legislative Calendar
- Senate & Assembly Member Email Addresses
- Social Media Posts & Twitter Handles (customizable)
- Summary of Executive Budget Proposal FY22
- Take Action Template: 2021 YMCA Budget Priorities Letter (downloadable and customizable)
- Talking Points for Virtual Legislative Visits
- YMCA Elected Official Finder
Contact Belinda Heckler, Director of Public Policy, at firstname.lastname@example.org